"Nathan Coombs laid out the original town site of Napa City in 1847. The initial survey included the land lying between what is now Brown Street and the Napa River, extending 600 yards from Napa Creek to the steamboat landing. The spot was a natural location for the town since it was at the uppermost point of river navigation, necessitating a change in transportation mode and thus a natural trade and transportation center for travelers and agricultural, commercial and industrial goods.
The new town harbored an assortment of people from Europe and Asia, including native Indians, who established themselves in the area. Gold miners spent their winters in Napa; prices reflected the abundant supply of gold.